Re: CULT: Rebloom, temperature
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Rebloom, temperature
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 07:19:04 -0400

Hi Ted. That post was just to share something I ran across while trying to figure out how to relate rebloom that Riley Probst reported on Facebook to how those rebloomers might respond to my growing conditions.

Quite a few years ago, I had noticed that 'fall' rebloom starts in my garden (the 'iris vale of despair' or "iris hell" ) about 6 weeks after we would get a few nights in the 40s or 50s (plus adequate moisture etc), which usually would happen in August.

And Chuck Chapman has posted quite a bit here about his research and theories re: types of rebloom and triggers.

i grow a few rebloomers that seem to tolerate hotter conditions and will send up bloom stalks without those low temperatures - IMMORTALITY, TEA LEAVES, BELVI QUEEN.

But the form on these lags way behind form on CA rebloomers. So I was looking to see what the summer temperatures were in Modesto when he was getting rebloom.

Chuck had commented earlier that summer low temperatures where CA sees a lot of rebloom were like our fall temps, but I guess I just had to see the graph for it to sink in how much difference there is in the temperatures. Even tho Modesto is USDA zone 9, and I'm zone 7, it is hotter here, esp at night thanks to the humidity.

Any place in CA where it's hotter but irises bloom in summer?

Linda;

Just curious, why were you looking for the temp in Modesto, Ca.
That is where I live.

Ted

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7