Re: Re: CULT: Rebloom temperature
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Re: CULT: Rebloom temperature
  • From: Chuck Chapman <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 07:28:00 -0400

This is  process refereed to scientifically as "Preferential vernalization" .

That is, it has bud set, as a mature plant, and then has a five month or so
period of growing conditions after that.  During this time the increases will
continue to grow.

Preferential vernalization  means that it will bloom following vernalization,
after bud set,  But Mediterranean plants have a secondary  or back up system
for when winters are not severe or cold enough to  get full vernalization
conditions needed.  Thus after 5 months, it assumes winter must have come and
gone, so it blooms.

California has a longer growing season then native Mediterranean  area, so it
confuses the plant.

In the meantime  the increases are growing on. So by time spring bloom occurs,
the increases are too large to  have  vernalization  trigger  (set by long
growing conditions) reset, but not large enough to  bloom at that time. So
these increases  will bloom directly from maturity and bud set.. Having been
primed. So thus extended bloom in spring.

So this type of  summer rebloom is a factor of  the preferential
vernalization  plus long growing conditions.

If  you don't have the long growing season after  bud set, then plant depends
on winter vernalization, and  increases are not primed,. So no summer
rebloom.

At least this is the way I'm conceiving this at this time.

There are a number of these extended growing  season plants that do this. That
is  rebloom only when grown in a long growing season area, but nowhere else.
And they  don't only rebloom late in  these zone 9 area ,in fall, but also
often have extended bloom in spring.  Different genetics than the direct
bloom we see  with Immortality and ilk.

Hope this helps.

Chuck Chapman