Re: CULT: Rebloom temperature
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Rebloom temperature
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 06:01:54 -0400

Yes, that does help Chuck. I am still a little confused by the concept that a plant is "mature" at some point, then continues growing for 5 months, but I understand what you are saying. That the increases grow while the main fan waits. It would still result in a lot of foliage with few stalks. Is that what summer bloom in CA looks like?

Why 5 months, rather than 2 or 6 or ? What determines the amount of time? & is it affected by temp, light etc?

With the long growing season here, if I can combine the genes that are giving me seedlings capable of thriving in my growing conditions with the CA preferential vernalization genes, with a higher temperature threshold for stopping growth, that should (potentially) give me some late summer bloom.

Mike, the reason I'm interested in your August bloomers is that according to the temperatures (comparing your nearest urban heat island with my nearest urban heat island), rebloom you might get in August will be occurring with stalks starting to develop in July, during the hottest part of your growing season, comparable to our normal temperatures all summer. Assuming it takes about 6 weeks to go from start to open blooms.

If Chuck's concept is correct (and I have no reason to think it isn't), then it won't really matter which month you are seeing rebloom except that those that can bloom in Aug would hopefully be the most heat tolerant. It's that heat tolerance/ability to produce bloom plus modern form gene suite that I'm looking for. IMM can provide the disease tolerance. Maybe. ;-)

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7