Re: Re: CULT: Rebloom temperature
  • Subject: Re: Re: CULT: Rebloom temperature
  • From: Chuck Chapman <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 07:23:53 -0400

 I'm guessing at 5 months based on observation. Basically it would seem to be
three months of growing season after bud set and two months of winter (as
expected by plant genetics).

"Lateral Clines" is a biological term used to describe how a plant adapts to
the latitude it has evolved in. An adjustment of growth, hibernation and bloom
time signals, that adapts it to its weather and sunshine conditions. When
plant is moved from latitude it has adapted to, to another latitude, then
signals no longer match plants genetic signals and things go awry. Thus plants
adapted to Mediterranean region would expect (guessing at this timing) three
months following bud set. First increases need to reach maturity, then bud set
temperature, then the three months before winter. Then two months of winter.
So either there is enough cold during winter to vernalize plant or prime for
flower stalk growth, or using back up system of time, to account for a mild
winter not cold enough to set cold vernalization.

So when plant is moved to a region where there is five months of growing
season after budset, it's biological triggers tell it it is now spring, and it
reacts accordingly.

At least the way I'm conceptualizing this at this time.

Chuck Chapman