Pollinating in dry winds.
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Pollinating in dry winds.
  • From: SDAyres2@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 07:24:12 EDT

We have a lot of dry, high winds in the spring time in southern NM.   Both
the pollen and the stigmatic lip dries out.  I make a lot of crosses  but
maybe 15% took.  Does anyone have any secrets for pollinating in such
conditions?  Earlier crosses (when the winds weren't quite so warm) were  more
successful.

I have also noticed an extraordinary large amount of bee crosses on my
(hopefully) reblooming seedlings.  They bloomed earlier than the  rest.    I
assume the bees came in from the surrounding  desert looking for blooming
plants.  We are in a record-breaking drought  after record breaking big freeze
this winter.  No rain for 100+  days.   You easterners are hogging it all!

The freeze severely damaged the native plants.  Four days were below
freezing all day long in Februay.  I have never seen it below  freezing for the
entire day.  Plus it got down to -10 degrees.   Usually the teens are the
lowest it will get around  here.   Irises did ok.

Scarlett