Re: Pollinating in dry winds.
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Pollinating in dry winds.
  • From: Betty Wilkerson <autmirislvr@aol.com>
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 08:26:50 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Scarlett, I get a lot of wind in my location and have no problems until the
heat rises too.  Then everything starts drying out.  I've not found a way to
combat it.

<<Both the pollen and the stigmatic lip dries out.  I make a lot of crosses
but maybe 15% took.>

You can try letting the blooms open indoors to combat the dry pollen.  People
have talked of using spit to moisten the stygmatic lip, but it's not worked
for me.

My suggestions would be to make sure you get the pod plants as soon as they
open.  Make crosses as early in the day as possible.  I've heard of people
making crosses by flashlight at night.  I'm accident prone so I"ve not tried
this one.

Long term--plant things you want to use as pod parents along some type of
barrier--a house works well.

In my garden, rain was the problem.  It rained a lot during bloom season.
Also, there was something wrong with the first wave of blooms.  The pollen
didn't really look good.  Only one take in the first week of crosses.

Betty W.