Re: CULT: Rebloom temperature
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Rebloom temperature
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 07:41:59 -0400

Thanks again, Chuck.

Esp for taking time during your bloom season!

So I wonder what happens if we combine those growth & rebloom genetics (i.e., need for vernalization or 5 months) with genes for new fans produced in fall that grow over the winter enough and are vernalized enough to bloom shortly after/simultaneously with the fan "born" the prior spring/summer that is the main spring bloom.

Or are those the same rebloom genetics combined with different maturity 'trigger'?

Could we possibly hope that they would think they had missed winter after a shorter time period?

I have some seedlings like that (produce bloom on younger fans simultaneous with older fans), including the one I think will be my first introduction.

If your surmise that the CA/5 month/rebloom genes are dominant (when all the other necessary growth/temperature etc genes are present), & if the (what shall we call it - multiples?) are the same genes but more impatient, that would be nice. Esp if I could get some higher threshold temperature bud set tolerances.

I have some of the 'multiple' seedling in a pot - will try watering twice a day (when I can remember to do it) with cold water, shade during the hottest part of the day and fertilizing like crazy & see what happens. Bury the pot in some kind of insulating mulch.

It may not be a good subject - will have to check, but as I recall, it has a high leaf blade count, so probably isn't going to be all that fast maturing.

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7