HYB: Pollinating in dry winds
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: HYB: Pollinating in dry winds
  • From: <MryL1@msn.com>
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 09:20:32 -0400

I've been known to pry open blooms to pollinate them.
Never to avoid dryness, though!  Success rate about the same
as for freshly opened.

You may find many of your bee pods are empty.  My theory is
that the iris reacted to pollen from a totally different plant but,
of course, couldn't set seeds.  Some varieties always seem to set
lots of balloon pods.

You may have been lucky it had been so dry when the freeze hit.
If the iris had been full of water, they probably would have had
more damage.

Glad to hear you're working on rebloomers.

If you'd asked earlier, you could have had most of my rain.  Rampant
leaf spot.  And looks like my Imidocloprid just washed away.

Mary Lou, near Indianapolis, Z5