Bloom Report

In a message dated 96-05-31 05:15:05 EDT, Carolyn writes:

>Dorothy Fingerhood -- how are things down there?

I'm so iriscited, I have to reply to the list....everyone's indulgence,

PRAIRIE THUNDER  just folded up its first 2 blossoms after staying open for 3
to 4 days--this cool wx. is good for something.  First time I've seen
it-WONDERFUL, very aril in appearance.  SHEIK and ESTHER THE QUEEN are both
unfurling as I type.  HOOPLA will be along in a few more days.

More IBs, MTBs, even a BB (BANDED ROGUE) are in bloom.  I like PIECE OF CAKE,
an IB.  Has sort of a pearly-violet sheen on pink falls and stands.  Is that
"diamond-dusted?''   Can anyone take a stab at defining that descriptive
Also like BOLD STROKE, another IB new to me, from last year's ESIS sale.
 Sort of a CODICIL on a smaller scale.  Oooooohhh-I should have planted PIECE
OF CAKE and BOLD STROKE next to each other!

Lots more "interesting flowers."  I went over to check out a tipsy stalk and
found that it was being ridden to earth by a double (less one fall) flower.
 5 falls, 6 standards, 6 stylearms--no wonder the stalk was going down!

But I know what these plants went through this spring.  After watching water
sliding off developing bloomstalks in ice drops, I am happy there are
FLOWERS-imperfect or not!

And, oh, yes--the bee pods I planted 2 years ago from MAGGIE LOU SMITH (SIB)
have produced a host of plants, and about a third are sending up bloom stalks
Should be interesting to see what they look like.

Everytime I go outside I find something new happening!  Truly the season an
iris-nut lives for!

Dorothy Fingerhood
Newfield, NY (and it's looking a lot better here today...)