Re: Freaks & other irritations

Kathy Guest - frettin' in NY writes:

>Can someone tell me why I'm seeing an extraordinary amount of 4 fall SDB's
>this spring... and also some severely stunted IBs?  (where the height is
>there, but the flower looks more like an SDB or MTB).  One friend suggested
>that my "neighbors-from-hell" used Weed 'N Feed and the excessive rain washed
>it into my garden.  Comments?

No need to blame it on an incursion from without, weather is usually the
culprit. Some SDB varieties (nameless here!) are *very* prone to extra
segments when weather stressed. IBs will usually make it through nasty
weather unharmed, however, on up-down cycles (some) will have 'runted'
blooms. At least the medians will give bloom, albeit whacked, while many of
the TBs respond by sulking and skipping a years worth of bloom.

Mike Lowe, Virginia, USA