Re: Freaks & other irritations

>Can someone tell me why I'm seeing an extraordinary amount of 4 fall SDB's
>this spring... and also some severely stunted IBs?  (where the height is
>there, but the flower looks more like an SDB or MTB).  One friend suggested
>that my "neighbors-from-hell" used Weed 'N Feed and the excessive rain
>it into my garden.  Comments?

I'm seeing the same things, Kathy.  4-falled flowers on both SDBs and IBs.
 One nice vigorous IB clump (Lemon Pop) has at least 3 of them.  Another, an
SDB (Meadow Nymph) had a 5-falled flower!  If THAT didn't look
strange--actually, I kind of liked it, and was imaging "flat" bearded
irises--6 falls, like JIs, but with the added interest of the beards. Very

Also, now that the TBs are "stalking up," I see quite a lot of cold weather
damage, which I attribute to that severe frost we had very late.  A few
horribly twisted stalks; also completely aborted or semi-developed (the kind
that will never open decently) terminal buds.  Also lack of terminal buds;
the first comes from what should have been a branch.  These have a peculiar
look, with a strange "leaf" waving like a flag at the site of the bud

Me thinks we both are seeing cold weather damage, since there's been no "Weed
'n Feed" anywhere near mine.

Newfield, NY (Where we've got frost warnings again for tonight! AAAGGGHH!)