Re: Fireweed

> >Where can I get some seeds?  I have a wild area around a small lake where
> >it can 'do it's thing.'

At the risk of being flamed, and not meaning anything unkind, but do you think there
might be a risk to the native environment by introducing a non-native species into it?

All sorts of bad things can happen. Think how less devastating the Oakland (CA) fire
would have been if ther weren't all those non-native eucalyptus trees there. (Eucalyptus
were brought into CA by the wonderful railroad companies as a fast growing source for
railroad ties . As it turned out they were very fast growing and absolutely worthless for
railroad ties!!!) Anyway, I think transplanting wild species into other environments is
dangerous. Even in a controlled environment they can escape (Killer bees for instance.)

John Jones, 35572 Linda Dr., Fremont CA, 94536
jijones@ix.netcom.com, USDA zone 8 (coastal, bay)