Re: Hybridization Techniques

In a message dated 96-05-28 12:20:48 EDT, Jim Schroetter in Fredericksburg VA
wrote:

>	I have tried to cross several irises this year, and would like to ask
>some of the more seasoned veterans on the list about their techniques and
>tips.

This is wonderful news, Jim.  We need more iris breeders in Virginia (need
more AIS judges too...are you thinking about this...you should be, after all
how can one vote for one's own introductions if one is not a judge? LOL)  If
you have specific questions, feel free to give me a ring (number is in front
of AIS Bulletin) or send Email.  Would you like to give some examples of
crosses you did?  Have you decided on some goals?

In past my goals have been rebloom ( My best so far is VIOLET MUSIC), violet
bearded white TB (best so far is SWANN'S WAY to be introduced in a year or
two), and improved MTBs (best I've gotten so far are REMINISCENCE and ROBIN
GOODFELLOW).  My favorite of my own was a "miracle", i.e SUKY which was the
only one of sixty plus sibs that was not solid violet in some shade.  I
certainly never thought I would get a flower with a double white zonal
pattern, especially one who carries the pattern as a dominant gene...and it
does.  Also, I almost threw LADY BIRD JOHNSON away because I was so
disappointed that it was not white...but other iris breeders convinced me to
keep it

Now I am limiting most of my efforts to Siberians and MTBs...since these are
my favorite types of irises.  (But I do love 'em all!)  Clarence Mahan in
McLean, VA whose pollen spreading has come to a sudden halt by non-stop rain!