I. pseudacorus and I. virginica

Clarence wrote:

> As I just advised Ellen on the IRIS-L, Rodney, I do get some
> pods...just a few...with ROY DAVIDSON.

I did say *not very* fertile ;+).  I definitely wouldn't plant these in a
wild setting, but I wouldn't be worried about them escaping the garden to
reek havoc on native plant populations.

> RE I. virginica 'Shrevei', I am not at all sure it is native to East
> coast.

Sorry, I wasn't clear on this.  My understanding is that I. virginica
'Shrevei' is native to the Mississippi and tribiutaries where as I.
virginica 'virginica' is found on the East coast.  My info comes from
Brian Mathew.

In the second edition of The Iris, Mathew defers to Edgar Anderson
(Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden 23, 457-509 (1936)) who gives the
following distributions for the irises in question:

I. versicolor - From Laborador to Winnepeg and southward to Wisconsin,
northeastern Ohio and northern Virginica

I. virginica 'Shrevei' - Mississippi Valley and Great Lakes reagion from
southern Minnesota and southern Ontario southwards to Texas and Alabama

I. virginica 'virginica' - From Virginia southward along the Atlantic Coast

Rodney - In Texas where I. tridenta bloomed yesterday and I don't even
want to get into wheather I. virginica is a species distinct from I.
versicolor.