Re: Hybridizing & Podlings

Amy writes

:I don't believe that you can "triplicate" triplets.  Certainly
:identical twins form when a fertilized egg divides.  I know it
:WON'T divide into three parts (an odd number); don't know about
:four, six, eight, etc.  At any rate, I've never heard of human
:identical multiples (more than two).

It certainly does happen. The famous Dione quintuplets were identical.
One zygote divided in two; each of those divided in two; and then
one of those four also split. But you are right, each division must
be in two parts...however, with successive divisions you can produce
any number of identical offspring.

I wonder if anyone could confirm an instance of identical siblings
in irises. Sibs are often so similar that they cannot easily be
told apart; this would make it tough to spot true identicals. Was it
Mike Lowe who wrote about using veining patterns to identify irises?
Perhaps the same could be used to identify twins.

Not that I can imagine anything useful to do with twins once you
had them.

Happy irising, Tom.