To all of you who are having drought problems, please take some of our
rain.  Here we have had the wettest April on record and the wettest May,
and the irises are showing it.  When we are done, we will be able to
identify for certain all of the irises that were bred to be good swimmers.

So far, among the beardeds, the diploid MTBs seem to be a few strokes
ahead.  At least in my yard, all are still surviving, including a couple
in an area where all the TBs around them have given up.  Two of them,
Petite Monet and a seedling, actually managed to put on a pretty good
show.  Many of the others probably would have too, but lots of them are
just one-year-olds.

The best-swimming SDBs were Starbaby and Velvatine, best IB was
Maui Moonlight which did its usual vigor-thing when most of my other
IBs chose to concentrate on survival, and the best BB was Maui Surf,
one that is high on my favorites list and now demonstrating the aptness
of its name.  TBs seemed to have the highest percentage of losses;
unfortunately, I can't provide really good varietal information on
them since some parts of my planting area are better drained than others--
I can say that that factor looks as if it may have played a bigger
role than the varietal factor.

Some of the Siberians are blooming now, with the established ones
backstroking ok, although I think I've lost two new and high-priced
ones planted last fall.  Other than that, maybe it will be a good
season for them and the JIs.

Maybe for next year I will try arilbreds.  It's bound to be a year
for them next, right?

Jim Wilson, Miami Valley Iris Society, SW Ohio, USA, Zone 6a, AIS garden judge
growing TBs, medians, SIBs, JIs, & a few SPU & species.   wilsonjh@muohio.edu