Re: Californica X Siberians and Other Items

In a message dated 96-05-26 05:26:42 EDT,Dave Silverberg wrote:

>There are fertile crosses of Ca X Sib = "Calsibe"

Dave,

First, I would like you to know, Dave, that based on the advice you gave me
on the bus at the York, PA convention last year, I did apply the birth
control pill solution to half my Japanese irises....and they do seem to be
more vigorous than the half I did not use the solution on.

Second, don't tease us with little bits of information!  Please tell us more
about the fertile Calsibes.  Does Lorena have some? Are you growing any.  How
were they developed...etc, etc.

Third, I spent this past weekend judging the York, PA iris show, and then, on
Sunday, judged the Lawrenceville, NJ show in your old stomping grounds.  Your
ears must have been burning because your name come up several times during
lunch.  (For those who might be interested the Best Specimen in the York show
was a beautiful stalk of LADY FRIEND, which is a very nice garden iris in
addition to giving show stalks.  At Lawrenceville, Martha Griner had the
Queen of the Show....a spectacular stalk of TITAN'S GLORY...the Best Seedling
at York was a "tree", i.e. a multiple branched, high bud count stalk of a
distinctive white iris with prominent purple horns hybridized by Sterling
Innerst.  At Lawrenceville, another very different iris won Best Seedling for
Chun Fan...it was butterscotch with brown flecks throughout, very ruffled, 8
bud count and nice branching.  Both shows were beautiful, and of course, AIS
sanctioned shows.)

Missed you and your charming wife at Sacramento, guy.  Warm wishes, Clarence
Mahan in rainy northern VA.