Historical iris

Linda asks:

 >> What are Florentina,  Flavescens, Odoratissima, and Sambucina?

Some of the coolest irises in the world!  I. florentina is quite short (18" or
so) and very early, a pearly white with a blue-grey cast and yellow beards.  A
very cool effect; the roots were dried and ground to make the perfume
ingredient orris powder (and may still be today, although I thought someone on
the list said that I. pallida is the one commercial orris-makers now use).

Looks great with pale or clear yellow tulips, of which there might also be some
very old ones that could be historically appropriate.

Flavescens is a light, light yellow, very dainty and fresh looking.  Also early
in the TB season and a little taller than Florentina. Actually it would look
cool paired with I. florentina.

Ooops; dog is demanding to go out in the rain.  More oldies later, if someone
else doesn't beat me to it.

  Nell Lancaster, Lexington, VA   75500.2521@compuserve.com    USDA zone 6b