Re: pseudacorus, pcn's, falling in love

>I keep reading good comments on Hager's FALLING IN LOVE - did anybody in the
>'spring freeze/rot' zone try it this year?  Clarence - how would you rank
>it's vigor in your area?
>Are any of the pseudacorus varieties that aren't as invasive or other water
>loving iris yellow?
>Finally found my World of Iris again - It says chromosome number of
>pseudacorus is 20, 24, 32, 34 - am I reading this right?  If some of them
>20's, has anybody tried making tetraploids out of them and crossing them
>the Pacific Coast iris?  We may have discussed this before, but are the
>California x siberian hybrids fertile?  Is anybody working with them these

Above questions from Linda Mann.

FALLING IN LOVE is a lovely light peachy pink iris that grows wonderfully in
my garden. It is first rate!

Re the chromosome count in The World of Irises...you will note that the count
of 34 was obtained by Simonet, Randoph, and DeRosa....only DeRosa also got
20, 23, and 32. The correct count is generally considered to be 34.  There
are a few tetraploid I. pseudacorus on the market, and some breeders of
Japanese irises have been using them trying to get a good vigorous yellow
that looks like a Japanese iris...I don't know of any others who have been
using them, but I suspect Tamberg in Germany has been doing so with various
things. In the U.S, Dave Niswonger has been working with I. pseudacorus for
some time.  Good field for someone to "muck" around in.  Clarence Mahan in VA