Re: Garden Report from the North, rot

Hello All

The Daffodils are beginning to fade.  Marge and I spent some time
deadheading the older blooms today.  The weather was wonderful.  Then we
split some wood and later I got some sun and Marge got some shade, me with
my northern European Dark skin and her with her redhair pale skin genes.

I looked at the TBs today and found ROT! in three.  Thanks to this robin I
recognized it and out came the bleach.  I think CHERRY SMOKE is a goner but
the other two were small cases.  It's my fault.  I have never planted in
raised beds and these rhizomes had sunk into the soil so I spent some time
pulling the soil away from the tops of the rhizomes of all my cultivars.
Most of them look really good, many fans.  No buds yet.

I am really impressed with the couple of Dwarfs I have.  One named JARED (I
have no idea whether it is a very good one but it is pretty) increased from
about 5 fans last year to 34 today.  Looking forward to planting more.

The hillside is white with Trillium grandiflorum, we have 1000's of these.
We all smile because they are supposedly a protected species but where the
land has not been disturbed (like my lot nextdoor) they are thick as weeds.
They will last for about two weeks gradually fading to deep pink. , A fellow
was walking along the road and asked me what they were.  He was from Mass
and did not recognize them (altho' I think they grow there).

Clarence's comments about I. pseudacorus have me worried.  I think I will
put a clause in my will that my plants of pseudacorus are to be cremated
with me and accompany me to the next life (kinda like the Egyptian pharoahs).

I planted a few Siberians I got through the mail but they don't look so
good.  I don't know whether they are going to make it or not.

Otherwise planting season has not really started except for hardy things.
We've planted peas and asparagus.  Real planting will wait for June 1.

Marge commented on how well the iris are growing by the lakeshore.  I had to
tell her that I had just planted them from the nursery.  That's the secret
to early big plants.  Similar comments from my neighbor on how advanced my
Hosta were.  Yes, they were from the nursery, too.
Lee DeJongh   Rhinelander Wis  Zone 3  AHS region 2  AIS region 8
-Answers $1, Short $5, Correct $25, dumb looks are still free-