Re: Here we go again - maternal inheritance, podlings

LMann76543@aol.com wrote:

> Bill said - <The
> fact that they share the same pod has no consequence on the result of the
> pairing of chronosomes.>
>
> And then there's that discussion we had about non-chromosomal inheritance,
> which, if it exists, might influence inheritance through which way the
> parents were crossed (who was the pod parent).

I wouldn't have thought that there was any doubt that it exists. Things
like mitochondria and chloroplasts are inherited in a strictly maternal
line.

> Also, seems like the vigor of different batches of podlings from year to year
> could be very different depending on differences in the season (especially
> here where no two springs have ever been alike) or even differences in
> growing conditions in the soil, water etc.  Maybe not genetics - I keep
> thinking about mammalian maternal effects on development and characteristics
> - all those hormones and stuff - which may explain why non-identical twins
> may seem to look more alike than other sibs.  mmph. This is hurting my only
> two brain cells that are working this morning.

Two! I'm jealous.

Gerry Snyder, in sunny southern California, where iris bloom is fast
disappearing, but still attractive.