Re: Subs for I. pseduacorus

>If you want to grow a pseudacorus like iris, the Clough family (Holden
>Clough, Roy Davidson and Holden's Child) are not very fertile and should
>be much easier to control that I. pseudacorus no matter how you pronounce
>it.  I grow Roy Davidson and love it.  It is the most vigorous iris I
>have.  I also have the "dwarf" form of I. pseudacorus. It doesn't seem to
>set seed on it's own either.  This may actualy be a hybrid like the
>Clough family.
>
>If you want to get picky about using only natives, the native form of I.
>virginica in the interior US is I. virginica var. Shrevei.

As I just advised Ellen on the IRIS-L, Rodney, I do get some pods...just a
few...with ROY DAVIDSON.  RE I. virginica 'Shrevei', I am not at all sure it
is native to East coast.  I. versicolor is native to Virginia, but I don't
believe I. virginica is.  I. virginica does thrive in the Mississippi valley
areas, and on up the Mississippi tributaries (Ohio, Missouri, etc.). I have
often wondered why I. virginica was so named...perhaps because the
Commonweath of Virginia once extended to the Mississippi and Great
Lakes....until "we" Virginians so generously ceded our western territories to
the U.S.

  Clarence Mahan in "generous" Virginia who adds a P.S. If there is any
evidence that I. virginica is native to Virginia I will gladly eat my words
(it would not be the first time...sometimes new knowledge can be
embarrassing...LOL).