Re: Hybridizing & Podlings

> pairing of chronosomes.  The only time that you would have seeds of the same
> pods being genetically the same would be if some environmental or chemical
> factor caused one of the seeds to duplicate, triplicate, quadruplicate, etc.
> That is when you would get identical twins, triplets, etc.  Twins in humans
> sharing the same "pod" can either be identical (each sharing the identical
> genetic material) or paternial (each sharing the same womb, but not having the
> identical genertc material).  This accounts for you not finding identical twins
> of different sexes.  I due find it puzzling that most twins usually look more
> alike than if they were born at different years, so there may be some connection
> to sharing the same "pod".  Perhaps I slept thru that part of the lecture.

I don't believe that you can "triplicate" triplets.  Certainly
identical twins form when a fertilized egg divides.  I know it
WON'T divide into three parts (an odd number); don't know about
four, six, eight, etc.  At any rate, I've never heard of human
identical multiples (more than two).  Could be that after one
division, one of the "twins" decides to twin itself, thus
resulting in three offspring, but again I've never heard it.
In humans it gets even more complicated:  there are several
pods.  Twins and more share the womb, but depending on how
they were formed can also share the same amniotic sac, cord,
or placenta, depending on whether they are identical or non-
and if identical, at what point the division took place.

Perhaps the similarity you see in "pod" twins could be due
to environmental factors; or perhaps the "randomness" of
producing eggs and sperm isn't too random, but rather that
sequential sperm and eggs tend to be more like the set that
immediately preceded it, and years later, the results are
different.  Though in humans, eggs are all present before
birth and released later, one at a time; not sure how the
ovaries decide "which egg" to release.

--
Amy Moseley Rupp
amyr@mpd.tandem.com, Austin, TX, zone 8b