Re: borer control and I. pseudacorus

In a message dated 96-05-22 18:33:26 EDT, Linda Mann wrote:

>Clarence and Robert - Thanks for the warning about I. pseudacorus' weedy
>inclinations!  I was given a clump this spring and it is sitting in a
>can waiting to be planted.  I have a quite a bit of natural wetlands, and
>already decided I needed to find out how safe it would be to turn this thing
>loose.  Do you think I could plant it in a sheltered spot surrounded by dry
>soil a long ways away from the wet areas?  Does anybody know how the seeds
>are dispersed?

Linda...planting it a long way from the wetlands will not keep it out of
them....if I miss removing a seed pod, I end up with little I. pseudacorus
plants in various parts of my garden.  The seeds are "corky" and normally
water borne....but obviously can be carried by the wind also.  Don't get me
wrong...I do like this iris...but only warn people that it must be kept under
control.  Dave Niswonger has just introduced a couple of new cultivars.  His
GORDONVILLE CREAM just bloomed for me...and it is very, very
beautiful....really light, creamy yellow with almost no dark signal.
 Clarence Mahan in VA.