Re: nematodes, borers, EPA

Bill writes - <Let's all keep our fingers crossed that this wasn't one of the
pesticides on the EPA list that can no longer be sold to the public. >

Fortunately, living creatures are not exactly pesticides (!), so I suspect
they won't be regulated the same way as man-made (definitely not woman-made,
Clarence!) chemical toxins.  As far as I know, EPA has never restricted a
biological control already in use - can you imagine EPA telling the public
they can't buy ladybugs anymore?  I do sometimes worry about wide-spread
commercial use of BT (Bacillus thuringensis) and related bacterial controls
of lepidoptera larvae - when I used it to control tobacco bud worms and
hornworms, it also got rid of all the corn ear worms in my popcorn and sweet
corn.  That was nice, but it meant I was hitting stuff with drift (?) outside
my tobacco patch.  So I worried about killing butterfly larvae and wondered
just how far away from where I was dusting, little critters were croaking..

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com e tenn usa