Re:Hybridizing & Podlings

Linda writes:
>Are those rates of successful introductions based on the total number of
>seedlings produced or total crosses (sibs or podlings) (before everybody
>asks, I just made that last one up - it means seeds that were all formed
>inside the same pod, as opposed to all children of the same parents)?

     From what I remember from those few hours of not sleeping thru a couple of
genetics classes I took is that each seed is the result of a random pairing of
chromosomes from each parent and each seed would therefore be different.  The
fact that they share the same pod has no consequence on the result of the
pairing of chronosomes.  The only time that you would have seeds of the same
pods being genetically the same would be if some environmental or chemical
factor caused one of the seeds to duplicate, triplicate, quadruplicate, etc.
That is when you would get identical twins, triplets, etc.  Twins in humans
sharing the same "pod" can either be identical (each sharing the identical
genetic material) or paternial (each sharing the same womb, but not having the
identical genertc material).  This accounts for you not finding identical twins
of different sexes.  I due find it puzzling that most twins usually look more
alike than if they were born at different years, so there may be some connection
to sharing the same "pod".  Perhaps I slept thru that part of the lecture.

     Bill Smoot - genetically confused in New Orleans!