Re: borer control

Dan Isbell wrote:

>   I know what eats Iris Borer, it's a very small parasitic Nematode called
>Neoapledtanids, what a mouth full. Any way it is sold under the name Scanmask
>and I used it a few years ago with great results, it did not kill the
>borers in
>the rhizome that year but come fall when thay leave and go into the soil
>for the next 2 years I had no borer sign at all and for the last 2 years only
>slight damage in 4 or 5 clumps in new beds that were made after I applied the
>Nematode's in areas where thay were never applied in the first place.
>   I plan to get and use these again as thay worked so well for me in the past
>(went from 10 per sq ft to 4 or 5 per acre). Thay were priced a little
>high but
>I feel it was money well spent. Check out local organic lawn care services for
>this product as it is sold for controle of grub worms in lawns.
>   Let me know how it works for you as I would like some feed back from other
>folks who have tryed this stuff to see if it works as well as I think it
>did or
>if I was just lucky and all the borers in my yard died of some other unknowen

During my search for a biological control for rose crown gall, I found a
company that sells all sorts of strange little buggies, including this one.
As Dan said, this stuff is pretty expensive. For one thing a lot of it has
to be shipped overnight.

 Particularly suited to cold northern soils, Scanmask is a large strain of
Steinernema carpocapsae, similar in appearance to S. feltiae, that remains
active down to 50 F. First collected near the arctic circle in Sweden, the
name of this cold-hardy product is a combination of "scan" for Scandinavia,
and "mask" which is Swedish for nematode.
Target Pests: fungus gnats, grubs, black vine weevils, wood borers
(from IPM Laboratories catalog - phone # (315) 497-2063)

When I asked them about the crown gall bacteria, they sent me  some very
interesting 'additional information'. Maybe they have articles on how
effective this stuff is also.

"The world is so full of a number of things . . ."

Kay Cangemi
Mid-Hudson Valley NY, USDA zone 5