Native Iris stands?

On Wed, 22 May 1996 CEMahan@aol.com wrote:

> It is great to learn that our own Native Plant Society in VA is preaching the
> correct doctrine!  Does the Society have any information on native stands of
> I. versicolor or I. prismatica in VA?  I have not been able to locate
> any...every time someone tells me there are native irises growing wild
> somewhere it turns out to be I. pseudacorus or the Hexagonae species hybrid
> that looks like and may be DORTHEA K. WILLIAMSON, neither of which are native
> to Virginia.  Cheers, Clarence Mahan in McLean, VA

Will ask--don't know off hand.  I do know that there is a publication
titled (if I recall correctly) "Flora of Virginia" which lists native
species and where they are found (available in reference sections of
public libraries).  In cases where things are rare they do
give pretty specific information--not enough to find the plants yourself,
but enough info to figure out who might know!

Debbie Green in Williamsburg, VA where the Japanese Iris are showing
their buds, but I think the Lousiana Iris "Black Gamecock" is going to be
a no-show again this year--will have to move to a sunnier location as
clump has increased and looks wonderful, but no bloom!

dxgree@facstaff.wm.edu