Bloom Report

Yes, the irises are blooming in spite of snow 8 days ago, and record-breaking
highs here for the last 2 days!  What ridiculous weather!!

DAINTY MORSEL, (Hager '94) is an MDB I'm growing for the Empire State Iris
Society Acquisition Program.  It was my first to bloom, on the 17th.
 Pink-apricot; a "different" looking iris for me.  Lots of bloomstalks.

GINGERBREAD MAN,  (Jones, 69) the good ol' reliable SDB popped open next.
 It's getting old, but the contrast of the light blue beards on the
gingerbread colored falls makes me keep it every year.  Plus it's such a good
doer.

PRINCESS DOROTHY (Palmer, '86)  (is usually the first open, but was beat out
by the MDB this year (first MDBs I've grown).  How could I not grow PRINCESS
DOROTHY?  Besides, it's a good iris; grows and blooms well, and a very nice
bloom at that.  Nice ruffling on a blue-white bloom with deeper blue pattern
on the falls.  Orange on the beard changing to blue-white.  Hints of lavender
on the styles.

MEADOW NYMPH  (Hager, 94) SDB. Another ESIS iris.  Lightly ruffled yellow
with green tones.  FLower quite full, yellow and white beards.  Pretty nice,
but had a little trouble settling in here.

BEING BUSY  (Hager, 93)  SDB.  A winner in my garden.  Has grown very well.
 Bright yellow standards; falls maroon with a yellow-gray edging and dusty
blue beards.  Stands out!

BUGSY (Hager, 93) MDB.  Cute as a bug's ear!  Kind of a smaller version of
BEING BUSY, the the colors are clearer.  Has not been nearly as vigorous,
either.  But it really is cute!

FAIRY LORE (Hager, 94) SDB.  Striking flower!  Kind of a violet-pink plic on
cream ground.  Orange-tipped white beard "hairs."  Plant has not been
vigorous, however, and I am a bit concerned about it after all the blasted
rain we had.  Has a definite yellow tinge that I don't like to see!  I hate
to say it, but these pastel beauties tend to have weaker foliage and growth
habits here.  Not always, of course, but often.

PAX AMERICANA (Sindt/Tankesley-Clarke '94)  SDB.  Pale violet-white stands.;
falls darker with violet webbing and "eyelash" pattern.  Orange-tipped
beards.  Unfortunately most of the stalks, here, at least, lack branching.

LUMALITE (Aitken, 95) SDB.  Got this as an extra last fall, and it's blooming
the first season, after our miserable weather.  This gives it all kinds of
extra points!!  And it's nice! Whtie stands; white falls with yellow at the
hafts and in kind of a wash over the rest of the falls, leaving a white
edging.  The beards are amazing--BRIGHT, BIG, orange yellow beards.  Looks
like a real keeper.

Whew, good thing I've run out of comments...and bloom to report...I can hear
thunder coming again, so it's time to go....

Dorothy Fingerhood
DFingerhoo@aol.com
Newfield, NY