Re: I've got rot?!?

Laura Williams wrote:

> I'm a new iris grower; just picked up some rhizomes last year at a
>local Iris Society sale.  One pink TB appeared to develop some holes in
>it was doing OK though not blooming this year.  Alas! The foliage was
> turning yellow, so on closer investigation yesterday I noticed that the rhizome had mushy areas and the fan was breaking off at the rhizome.
 Is this the dreaded rot I keep reading about?  Everybody else (about
six TB white irises and one blue [Ft. Bragg] is fine.
> Thanks for any input!

Chris prescribes:

Yes, unfortunately this is the classic indication that you have rot on
your iris plant. The important thing is: don't just leave it! Most
plants can be saved if they are caught and treated early enough. It
won't get better on its own. Treatment is fairly simple; with a spoon as
a tool scrape away all of the mushy rotten area and pour a 50% dilution
of standard houshold bleach on the affected area. I find that I can
direct the bleach to the exact spot effectively using a spoon as a tool.
Leave exposed to the sun and the area should dry up. The rhizome should
survive with the remaining new increases. Maybe no bloom this year, but
at least you will still have the plant for next year's bloom.
Back to my nice big cup of instant coffee... mmmm good.
--
Christopher Hollinshead
Mississauga, Ontario  Canada  zone6b