Re: HUMOR Re: pseudacorus varieties

In a message dated 96-05-21 17:39:35 EDT, Kathy Guest wrote:

>or a box o' pseudacorus
>They ARE a nice plant... very forgiving - but there was considerable
>discussion on this list about the correct pronounciation of that plant - it
>went on and on and on.

Kathy, Although I grow a number of forms of I. pseudacorus, and like all of
them very much, in or out of the pond, they are not quite as "nice" as one
might think.  Tony Huber,  who is doing marvelous work with versicolors and
interspecies crosses, advises that in many parts of Canada the European I.
pseudacorus is replacing I. versicolor (which is of course a native American
species)!!!!  Apparently, when I. pseudacorus is introduced into the wild,
its strong constitution overwhelms the native American species.  And to think
that a few years back some misguided enviromentalists in Maryland had I.
pseudacorus put on the Maryland list of endangered species, making it a crime
to remove them from the wild...when of course it isn't native to Maryland at
all!  That has now been corrected!

I write this to get the word out that Iris pseudacorus should not be allowed
to go wild...but this seems almost a futile objective since I have seen this
iris around many ponds and lakes in VA!  And the seed is very hardy and

Clarence Mahan in VA