Re: borer control

LMann76543@aol.com wrote:

> Lee wrote - <how about taking stalks of bloomed iris, making an iris puree,
> freezing this and later, spraying it all over ragweed or the like?  Confuse
> the dickens out of those little moths.  Meanwhile, spray Chanel No. 5 on the
> iris. >
>
> What a wonderful idea.  For Clarence, maybe spray it all over grass or porous
> brick.  But from the life history, sounds like you need to stomp foliage down
> and let it become 'litter' -  or harvest it, freeze it, then let it lie
> around on the ground pretending to be litter; then puree that.
>
> Is the freezing part of the recipe or is that to store for future sale?
>
> And I can see it now - all the little noctuid moth feeders surrepticiously
> hung in neighbors yards to lure the moths away.  Anybody know the dispersal
> distance for adult  iris borer moths?
>
> How about sex pheromones as lures?  Lure them over to the iris litter sprayed
> bricks, which are later doused in chlorox or lighter fluid.
>
> Instead of perfume, how about dousing the iris with puree of predator?  What
> eats noctuids?  Uh oh, I think I know, and it isn't something we want to
> puree....How about playing recordings of echo location by the dominant night
> flying predator?
>
> Last year, I used some old red cedar (Juniperus virginiana) shavings (from
> the dog bed) as mulch for part of my white potato patch.  The rest of the bed
> was eaten up with potato beetles, but none on the shavings mulched side.  So
> maybe mulch with something that confuses their little moth noses, if they
> find iris litter by scent.  Or if it's color, spray paint the iris beds with
> non-toxic dye.
>
> Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com e tenn usa

Linda
   I know what eats Iris Borer, it's a very small parasitic Nematode called
Neoapledtanids, what a mouth full. Any way it is sold under the name Scanmask
and I used it a few years ago with great results, it did not kill the borers in
the rhizome that year but come fall when thay leave and go into the soil GOT EM.
for the next 2 years I had no borer sign at all and for the last 2 years only
slight damage in 4 or 5 clumps in new beds that were made after I applied the
Nematode's in areas where thay were never applied in the first place.
   I plan to get and use these again as thay worked so well for me in the past
(went from 10 per sq ft to 4 or 5 per acre). Thay were priced a little high but
I feel it was money well spent. Check out local organic lawn care services for
this product as it is sold for controle of grub worms in lawns.
   Let me know how it works for you as I would like some feed back from other
folks who have tryed this stuff to see if it works as well as I think it did or
if I was just lucky and all the borers in my yard died of some other unknowen
someting?
                             Dan Isbell   izzy@sound.net