AIS Sanctioned Shows

Carolyn writes:

>Bill -- Can you clarify the sanctioning of shows for me? Are your shows
sanctioned >by AIS or by your Region? In NY State, we have 4 AREAS in the Region
(only >Region to have areas). And only one area's show is the official ESIS
show, the >others have other awardsand local awards.  The ESIS award is
recognized at the >State meeting in the fall.

     Our shows are sanctioned by AIS - not the region. The society hosting our
sprint and fall regional meetings  is in charge of putting on the show and
making all of the arrangements.  That process is really quite simple.  The
society  sends a copy of the show schedule to the AIS Show Chairman who reviews
it and sends a letter with changes in the schedule to conform to AIS
requirements. These changes are incorporated  into the final printing of the
show schedule.   With this letter is a form to be filled out by the Show
Secretary and an order blank for AIS ribbons,rosettes, and entry tags.  So  AIS
rosettes and ribbons are given out at the show. (Sorry, no cawfee  or daturas!)
Upon completion of the show, the judges sign the form, the original is sent to
the Awards Chairman, and a copy is sent to the RVP along with a final copy of
the show schedule.  Upon receipt of this form the Awards Chairman sends the AIS
Silver & Bronze Medals for awards and sectional award certificates.  The
returned form is used as the basis for show reports in a fall bulletin.  The
current Awards Chairman is Lillian Gristwood - a member of your group.  I
understand that this will be her last year doing this.

      AIS only sends the Silver & Bronze Medals to affiliated societies.  If
your society had more than one show a year (i.e. JI and Rebloomer) then the
society has to pay for the additional medals.  After reviewing the Judges'
Handbook I haven't found any contradiction of why you only have one official
show for the whole state.  Maybe you need to change to societies rather than
regions.

     Incidentally, I hope you guys are planning to have an AIS Sanctioned Show
in conjunction with the HIPS Convention.  Looking forward to attending.  How
close is is scheduled to other conventions.

Bill Smoot       73210.1725@compuserve.com