Re: Iris Shows -- Diversions

A good Idea Sharon -- the judging of the non-named varieties could, if space
were large enough, be a demonstration of what a judge looks for, etc, to
answer some questions that had been posed earlier.
	This year, for the first time, the WNYIS is going to have a section
of "collections" (three to five of a cultivar) in addition to a judged
design section and the show stalks.  This section will enable lots of folks
to show the results of their horticultural practises yet not need to be
so fastidious at grooming, or as "artistic" (debateable!!) as in the Design
section.  This will be an additional burden on the judges, and maybe your
suggestion of the less busy local judges would work here.
WE also use a different room for the design section which helps control the
crowd.
	Our show is at the Botanical Gardens. And many BRIDES choose that week-
end to have their wedding photos taken in the "garden" (INSIDE!) and
that closes off a good portion of the space for our traffic.
	As a judge, the most annoying problem I've encountered is crowd control
of the entrants!! who have wanted to hear judges' comments and even to ask
questions.  It would be nice to have enough time to write comments on the tags.
Carolyn Schaffner