Re: iris-1@rt66.com

DFingerhoo@aol.com wrote:

> >I am also new to gardening and put in iris last Fall, they came up
> >beautifully but....no blooms.  I am in phx, az so we have the VERY mild
> >winters and VERY hot summers.  How will this affect my bulbs?  Do I need to
> >pull them up for the summer and replant in the fall, just leave them in the
> >ground or what?  Phx is an unusual situation for weather - not a lot of
> >comparable areas.
> >

> >All comments and/or advice/help apprec.

[Helpful reply deleted.]

TB iris, spurias, and arils/arilbreds do not need much winter.

That much said, I (in Los Angeles) had several regular bloomers
which did not make it this year. We had a mixture of warm/cool/
warm this winter which was odder than usual.

Leave them in the ground in the summer, and water in windy evenings,
to reduce/eliminate rhizomes baking while wet.

My parents (in Sedona AZ) also had no bloom this year.

Gerry