Re: anti-borer tactics

At 06:52 PM 5/19/96 MDT, you wrote:
  My question is this: What is: What attracts
>the borer to an iris to the exclusion of other plants?  Is there a scent? Is
>their an iridescece? If some one could answer this, we could build an iris
>borer trap.  Any ideas?  Clarence Mahan in VA

What a great and interesting question.  I don't have borers, at least that
I'm aware, but I tend to blindness.  :-)

For a fairly insane suggestion,  how about taking stalks of bloomed iris,
making an iris puree, freezing this and later, spraying it all over ragweed
or the like?  Confuse the dickens out of those little moths.  Meanwhile,
spray Chanel No. 5 on the iris.  Might be interesting what happens.

It hit 80 degrees here and things have gone Whoomph.  No blooms yet but do
the iris ever love it!

Lee DeJongh in Rhinelander, WI