Re: Iris Borers

>	Those borers are attracted to the scent of all that money hybridizers
>charge for new introductions. <grin>.  Don't keep us all in suspense about
>the
>GISON (Greatest Iris Show on Earth)! We're all waiting with baited breath!
>I'm
>starting to get edgy from lack of CDM Coffee and beignets.

I was waiting to give the report on the Chesapeake and Potomac Iris Society
until I could get all the information together....(I was just too busy that
day to jot down the Best in Section winners etc).  Well I still don't have
all the information, but I have some and I cannot bear to think of you (and
the thousands of other people on IRIS-L) suffering such suspense.  Because of
terribly adverse weather conditions locally (3 straight days of rain) it
turned out not to be the largest show ever held in the US in terms of numbers
of entries.  But it was a grand show, and Dr. Roy Epperson said it deserved
to be called the "Mother of All Iris" shows because of the quality and
diversity of irises.

We had entries in all classes except Japanese.  Total number of entries was
275 with 25 exhibitors.  The Queen of the Show was a spectacular stalk of the
TB bred by Monty Byers HER ROYAL HIGHNESS and grown and shown by Joan
Roberts. Some of the Section winners were SPRINKLES (Siberian), I. graminea
(Species), ABRIDGED VERSION (MTB), WHOOP EM' UP (Border Bearded), HEY THERE
(Miniature Dwarf Bearded), SUNNY EPISODE (Louisiana), and MME HENRI CAYEUX
(Historic). Best Seedling went to a marvelous bitone yellow TB bred by Joan
Roberts.  Two Special Rosettes were given by the judges for horticultural
excellence: the TB LIMELIGHTER shown by yours truly and the Siberian INDY
shown by Carol Warner.

The Silver Medal for most blue ribbons was taken by Ginny Spoon, and the
judges were kind to my irises resulting in my picking up the Bronze Medal for
2d most blue ribbons.

It was a truly spectacular shows with large numbers of entries in several
classes.  The Siberian Section was especially nice, as was the Historic
Section.

For those who doubt the joy of putting on an AIS sanctioned show, I can tell
you that all the exhibitors were happy, joyful, and delighted with ribbons
and prizes given to other friends in AIS.  The public who visited the show
were really impressed and we signed up a number of new members for AIS.  By
the way, the Design Division was incredible, with 24 entries.  I doubt any
area in the US can match the uniformly excellent arrangements entered in this
show.  (This portion of the Show was a Garden Clubs of America sanction
show...and the senior judges who evaluated the designs all agreed it was
difficult to judge because almost any entry in each class would merit a blue
ribbon in most other shows).

Well, that's the report on the Mother of All Iris Shows.  Best of all, it was
lots of fun for everyone...and beautiful!  Clarence Mahan in VA