Well, the bearded iris season has finally started for me today (May
20!!) This is incredibly late this year for our area in comparison to
normal as the cold weather had stayed with us until last week and when
it then suddenly changed to summer. (80 degrees F) the last 5 days or
so. Lots of rain for the last 4 weeks though helped the plants develop.
Usual MDB bloom time for us is the beginning of May.

There are also LOTS of bloom stalks appearing on all the Standard Dwarf
Bearded (SDB). It really looks like they will put on a super show!
Amazing how there is nothing there one day and the next morning all
these bloomstalks have magically appeared.

The first iris to show their faces this year were:
ALPINE LAKE, a Miniature Dwarf Bearded (MDB) which had 5 blooms open
overnight and 7 more on standby. Also blooming overnight were the MDB's;
SKY CAPER 4 blooms, MITCHERNATCH 1 bloom and FRENCH WINE 7 blooms.
YES!! I'm pleased... and more iris to come!!

Christopher Hollinshead
Mississauga, Ontario  Canada  zone6b
Director, Canadian Iris Society
e-mail: cris@netcom.ca