Digging during Bloom

In a message dated 96-05-18 08:34:35 EDT, Bill  writes:

>When I first got started in irises I saw them in bloom in a field close to
>my home.  I'd pass this place on my way to antique auctions.  Finally, I
>stopped
>and admired the flowers - they were irises - and I bought some.  The lady
>there
>would let you go thru the rows and pick what you wanted from the blooms.
 She
>would then dig the clump and you'd get the flower, foilage, and any attached
>rhizomes.  This was when she would sell her irises - when they were in
bloom!

Bill, this is a common practice around here, also.  I know of several
commercial operations that will dig on command.  I also have done this and
had good success.  Just get 'em in the ground PDQ and keep watered for
several weeks.

P.S.  Your coffee blend sounds MUCH better than the generic store brand I am
slurping at the moment....

Dorothy Fingerhood
DFingerhoo@aol.com
Newfield, NY