Re: plant time for the south

As far as I have been able to find out, growers around here dig and reset
mostly in July and August, but because it is so hot and Tennessee clay can be
like concrete when dry, they often reset whenever they can get to it, often
in September, sometimes even later, which is ok as long as we don't have a
winter like this last one.  Also, a lot of digging and planting is done
during peak bloom - it's the one time of year you can be sure you are getting
the 'right' plant.  If I get a good sized increase planted during bloom
season and if it is a good iris for this area, it will usually bloom the next
year.  Growers who dig a lot to swap, sell, or give away during bloom season
generally don't reset what's left.  I have so few flowers, I don't have the
heart to do this myself.

I am going to experiment with dividing some immediately after bloom this