re: hybridizing and unanswered questions

One of the more or less unanswered questions that has been asked a couple of
times is what are the hybridizing goals of some of you?  Or if you know, what
are the goals of some of the big hybridizers who aren't on the list?

I have been out there optimistically  with my newly educated tiny stack of
knowlege trying to pollen dab.   My goals are pretty simple - cross anything
that blooms with the intent of getting something that will bloom - sort of
like Robert Turley's goals I think.  Right Robert?  If I could have more, I
would want to develop varieties with better consistency in producing lots of
stalks for the amount of space, better garden clump display value, and of
course, fancy fall and shoulder patterns.  But right now I will settle for
anything that lives.

Sharon and Tom have told us a lot (my head is still spinning, but I want
MORE!) about their hybridizing, but what are you guys after?  Sharon, is part
of your goal to get aril 'blood' into the tall bearded gene pool?  Tom, why
are you crossing species?  Are Sharon and Tom the only ones brave enough to
tell us about their hybridizing?

>From reading catalogs, there are little clues - 'another fine pink from
Hager', so I guess he is after an even finer pink?  But what makes it finer
to him?  And Keppel is clearly after better rot resistance in his
'biodegradeable' plicatas.  Another blue or dark purple from Schreiner - so
do they just keep selecting ones they (and we) like better?  What do they
look for as specific goals?

Around here, pollen dabbers look at what they have in bloom and decide what
might make a nice cross.  Is that the approach of a lot of hybridizers?
 Before you say it Tom, I already know part of the answer to that question is
an obvious yes! : )

I have no idea what kind of cross Dusky Challenger and Vanity will make, but
I like them both and they are both in bloom, so I guess I will try it.  So
far, except for my I. pallida crosses, I have had zero success with
deliberate crosses and only a few bee pods.

Are goals of hybridizers maybe a secret?  One of our older pollen dabbers
says that some of the earlier hybridizers took to their graves what they had
learned about heredity of iris characteristics.  At least none of you have to
worry about the rot queen sneaking off with hybridizing ideas!