Re: re-planting in short season areas

Tom said - >We had a fairly mild winter, and except for one pretty stiff
>just before the SDBs came out, spring weather has been good.

Our first frost is usually sometime in October and last is usually early May
(to be safe).  In my experience, 'stiff freeze' of anything much below 28o
that late in the spring will prevent bloom in tall bearded iris that are
listed as E, EM, or M.  If the lilacs don't bloom, the main season iris won't
either.  The later bloomers seem to do ok.  Don't know if that has anything
to do with your lack of bloom.

I hadn't noticed the dead and deformed terminal fans/stalks until this spring
(to igner'nt to look) - do yours look normal?  If it's lack of adequate
growth, they ought to at least be there.

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com e tenn usa