re: Iris borers

        I don't live in an area affected by iris borer's but I have a suggestion
anyway (yeh, try and stop me) I believe from what I have been reading here that
the Iris Borer Moth lays eggs on Iris in the Fall. I have a similar problem
growing Brocoli and Cauliflower with the Cabbage looper butterfly, which is
mainly active during the late summer and early fall when the plants are just
starting (I am in zone 9B so grow winter crops as well as summer) For the first
two months of growth I cover the plants with a floating row cover, the cover is
very cheap and transmits most light and water, but does not allow any insects
in. They make this stuff in large enough sizes to cover whole rows of crops. It
may not be very pretty in your garden but it beats having dead/sick plants. Plus
if the Moths are only active at certain times then this means you don't have to
use it for long.

        Chad Schroter in Los Gatos California