re: unanswered hybridizing questions

Tom writes:

..>Seriously, though: Vanity carries an dominant inhibitor for the blue/violet
>pigment family, and the pink is recessive--Dusky Challenger is unlikely
>to be a carrier. The progeny will likely be whites and light yellows, with a
>few blends too. Vanity seems to be a good parent for quality. Bringing
>the pink out would take another generation or two of line-breeding or
>back-crossing, and probably wouldn't be worth it.

        Just out of curiosity how does one know that "Vanity carries an dominant
inhibitor for the blue/violet >pigment family", does this come from experience ?
or is this a feature of all "pinks" (I am assuming Vanity is a pink), and is
pink always recessive ?  I would be interested in sources for this type of
information about color/form traits and their linking and dominance
characteristics. Are there some Iris specific books in print ?\

        Chad Schroter in Los Gatos Ca.