Re: Iris Depreciation

Amy brought up the subject of iris depreciation and rhizome duplication.  Tom
>Newer irises (at least the ones from famous hybridizers) tend
>to stay in high demand during the first five years or so, when
>everyone wants an advance look at a potential award winner. So
>you don't see the price drop from $40 to $10 the first year,
>even though there may be 4 times as many rhizomes out there.

     One factor that was not mentioned in this Iris "math" equation was the fact
that most hybridizers exchange seedlings and they are sent to conventions before
the iris is introduced.  One factor that I've observed is that a seedling may
reproduce normally where it originated, but grow like a weed on the other coast.
Since the iris cannot be sold until it is introduced, the grower on the coast
where it grows like a weed already has quite a stock already built up.  He/She
then is able to sell that iris the year after introduction at a lower price and
the iris can be de-valued that much quicker.  Again, the old principle of supply
and demand!

     Another factor that can quickly de-value the price of an iris is if it
reproduces like a weed.  There's more rhizomes to spread about and the price
rapidly decreases.  One such recent introduction is Clarence's BETTY FRANCES. It
reproduces like a weed!  It's kind of ironic that a  hybridizer would get
penalized for producing a cultivar that grows and reproduces well!

Bill Smoot      73210.1725@compuserve.com