malathion against borer??

Hi all,

The midseason and late tall bearded buds here are in a state of suspended
animation from the cold and rain; should be a little bit of an explosion when
it warms and dries up!

A fellow on the Compuserve garden forum says someone there told him to use
malathion on his irises against the borer.  This didn't sound right, as I
thought only systemics worked, and didn't think of malathion as a systemic.
But I know very little about pesticides since I don't use them, so wanted to
check it out here.  A) Is malathion effective against borer, and b) if so, when
should he spray/stop spraying?

 Nell Lancaster, Lexington, VA   75500.2521@compuserve.com    USDA zone 6b