Re: Big Iris Shows....AIS Sanctioned Of Course!

In a message dated 96-05-14 09:44:04 EDT, Dorothy Fingerhood wrote:

>Can you give me (Show Chair) a point of advice?  How do you manage crowd
>control as the irises are judged?  We have a show in a mall and are having
>more and more problems with folks "molesting" the irises before the judges
>can get a good look at them.  How do you discourage this, yet still let
>people see the irises from a decent vantage point?  Especially if manpower
is
>limited?

Crowd control at the U.S. Capitol Botanic Garden is no problem because we are
given two large exhibit rooms, one for the horticultural division and one for
the design division, and the rooms can be fenced off with ropes and signs.
 However, a mall is much more difficult.  I do suggest clubs having shows in
malls invest in some ropes and rope holder stands which they can use at malls
(these can also be rented but if they are going to be used every year a club
should consider the cost effectiveness of buying vs. renting).  Then some
appropriate signs, firm but polite, need to be made and hung on the ropes.
Maybe others have some more inventive suggestions.

(You are right on "site" re my usage error...I try so hard not to be
perfect.)  Clarence Mahan in VA CEMahan@aol.com