Plant time for the South?

Last year I ordered a bunch of TBs from the west coast.
About 1/5 have bloomed this spring; given the increasing
heat, I don't think many more will bloom.

I ordered "at the last minute" last year:  late August /
early September, when rhizomes were *JUST* becoming available
in stores (along with the fall/winter planted bulbs like
tulips).  To plant almost anything here in August or
early September is to almost guarantee death by heat
and drought.

I'm starting much earlier this year, but still, July!
and August are the preferred dates for shipping.  Reading
a related thread, it seems that the sooner in "summer"
the rhizomes are planted, the better the chance they
will begin regrowing ASAP in the "fall" so as to have
a chance to bloom the following "spring."

Do folks here in the South really plant TBs in JULY!?
or August, which is even hotter?  Things don't really
begin to cool down until well into September.
--
Amy Moseley Rupp
amyr@mpd.tandem.com, Austin, TX, zone 8b