TB depreciation?

> Commercial growers routinely divide each year. This apparently produces
> the strongest rhizomes most likely to bloom the next season. I think
> the *quality *of bloom seems to be best on a two-year-old clump, but I
> don't think frequent division reduces the quantity of bloom in any
> way. In fact it may increase it.

That's what I'm trying to do:  the Iris math.

Say, for example, a hybridizer introduces a new TB hybrid.  It
sells for, say, $40.  The next year, several Iris growers have
that cultivar, except the price has fallen to say $25, etc.
The price then "depreciates" over the years (unless it's difficult
to divide, slow to increase, etc.) to a level of $3-$5.

In order to DO this, the iris must increase.  So if one purchases
a brand new TB hybrid one year, for $40, how many potential
rhizomes could one sell the next year?  (I realize the cost
of raising the iris is also a factor which is added into price.)
I would think that there'd be at least two for every new hybrid,
or else the price would never drop.

Amy Moseley Rupp
amyr@mpd.tandem.com, Austin, TX, zone 8b
Jill O. *Trades