From South Africa and daunted already!

Hey there,  I've only been on this list for 36 hours and I have to
answer 2 big questions from the VIP's no less.  Feel like a kid on
its first day at high school!
Re  annual rainfall - Tom
This country is divided into summer rainfall,  winter rainfall,
desert,  a small pocket of perpetual rainfall,  karoo,  high veld
prairie terrain and so on.  If you are interested can send you a
climatic map.  Here - well we have both winter and summer rainfall
conditions so our flora adapt accordingly.  Our local pelagonium is
the root source for most of the window box varieties around the world
and Strelitiza also comes from here.  We have a resident botany
boffin in the department  who can advise.  Yes the succulents are
absolutely fascinating,  I keep a very few on the ledge in the
bathroom,  Lithops are especially intriguing but tricky.  Another
friend is into Haworthias and they are stunning too.

Re Iris Society - Clarence

I am not sure maybe in Gauteng but I will phone one of the 3
nurseries that I know and enquire. Otherwise speaking for my own,
they are sturdy, no fuss plants and drought resistant (big bonus
here).  I havn't visited our nurseries yet but the photos look good.
I guess they get their supplies from the States.  As to any SA
hybridizing I will enquire.

Will I get 2/3 out of ten for trying?  This is fun

Sally
zosg@warthog.ru.ac.za

Sally Guye
email zosg@warthog.ru.ac.za